THE CALIFORNIA AIRSTRIP ATTACK
Driver registration opens September 2nd, 2019 at 10:00AM PST
What: ½ Mile Side by Side Racing Event and Trap Speed Competition.
When: October 26th-27th. Gates open at 7AM. Mandatory drivers meeting at 8:00AM.
Where: The New Coalinga Municipal Airport. 27500 West Phelps. Coalinga, CA.
Shift-S3ctor is excited to announce that our California Airstrip Attack will be October 26th and 27th at the New Coalinga Municipal Airport in Coalinga, California. This will be a 1/2 mile, side by side racing event and trap speed competition. Both automobiles and motorcycles are permitted.
*For those requesting media access, please fill out the application at www.shift-s3ctor.com/media-application*
Vehicles will start from a stop and trap speed will be clocked at the 1/2 mile point on the runway. Drivers will receive speeds at the end of each run.
Saturday & Sunday’s formats are identical. Vehicles choosing not to run in the trophy competition can run openly throughout each day, running side-by-side with another vehicle or solo for trap speed. Those registered for the trophy competition will run in a shootout style competition. Trophies will be awarded at the end of each day for each competition class. Vehicles registered for the trophy competition are also free to run openly, but must make passes during the formatted competition times to qualify for each stage.
Trap Speed Competition Classes:
- AWD Unlimited – AWD Drivetrain
- 2WD Unlimited – FWD or RWD Drivetrain
- 6-Speed (Manual) – Must have manual transmission and clutch, no sequential transmissions
- Exotic – Vehicle cost $150k+ MSRP when new, bolt-on modifications or less, no aftermarket power adders (Turbo/Supercharger/Nitrous). Forced Induction vehicles must retain factory superchargers (porting is OK) or factory turbocharger housings (impeller upgrade is OK)
- German Car Shootout by BMW San Rafael – Any German vehicle with factory german-based powerplant, no modification restrictions.
- Naturally Aspirated – No forced induction or power adders (turbocharger, supercharger, nitrous, electric, etc.)
- Sedan – Four doors required, wagons permitted
- Motorcycle – motorcycles only
Vehicles can register for the trophy competition or open runs. Registration type and class must be selected at the time of online registration.
All drivers registered in the trophy competition will be competing in a trap speed competition on their respective registered day(s).
- Stage 1: Drivers may do as many passes as possible from 9:00 AM-1:00 PM. At 1:00 PM the top four (4) qualifying vehicles in each class will be announced.
- Stage 2: The top four (4) qualifying vehicles in each class may do as many passes as possible between 1:00 PM-3:00 PM. A minimum of one pass must be made between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM to qualify for the next round. At 3:00 PM the top two (2) qualifying vehicles will be announced.
- Final: The top two (2) vehicles will report to grid at 4:00 PM for the final run. The final run of each day will determine 1st and 2nd place for each class. Both vehicles will line up and will go at the same time, with the fastest trap speed taking 1st place. There will be no reruns and fastest trap speed of this run will take 1st place and the other vehicle will take 2nd place for the respective day and class.
- Both 1st and 2nd place drivers are required to be physically present at the trophy ceremony to collect their trophy once racing ends each day.
- Trap speeds for each stage and the finals will only apply to that specific round. Trap speeds from previous stages or run outside of the time frame, will not count for later stages.
- If a registered vehicle does not qualify for Round 2 or Final Round, it can still make open runs until racing ends each day, but will not qualify for a trophy.
- Cars must register to compete online or on site before the first race of the day. (Competition entry must be selected at time of registration)
- Trap speeds for the race shootout will only apply to that day. Trap speeds set in runs on Saturday will not count for Sunday’s race shootout.
- Drivers may only enter one class at a time. A driver cannot register a vehicle in multiple classes per day.
- Any competitor may request for race officials to inspect any competitor car to check the validity of the vehicle and the class entered at any time before trophies have been presented, whichever occurs first. Requests after this time will not be accommodated.
On Sunday, the format will be identical to that of Saturday.
Who Can Come:
Drivers: The event is open to all types of cars and all horsepower levels. Each registered driver may bring up to 2 guests/crew free of charge.
Spectators: All others who wish to spectate must purchase spectator tickets available here on our website. We are only selling a limited number per day in order to meet our capacity requirements. We will also be selling tickets at the gate subject to availability. Once we reach capacity, we will not let anyone else in. We highly suggest purchasing tickets in advance. Spectators who purchase tickets are required to print out their emailed ticket.
SAFETY RULES AND REGULATIONS
CARS EXCEEDING 180MPH:
To further emphasize these points in our 2019 Rules and Regulations at the link above, it is required that all participants exceeding 180mph have the following gear and safety equipment:
- Helmet – Snell SA2010 or newer (same as all participants)
- Gloves – SFI-rated
- Fire Suit – SFI-rated
- Seat Belts – Properly installed SFI or FIA rated harnesses with at minimum 4-points.
- Roll Bar – minimum of 4-points
- Fire Extinguisher – mounted within reach of driver
- Neck Restraint – HANS device or similar
To be licensed to go 180+mph, each driver must do two solo passes (one in each lane) between 170mph and 180 mph. This is to ensure that you can do a safe pass at that speed as observed by our staff. Once we see and have record that you have accomplished two safe passes, you will be permitted to exceed 180+ so long as the participant and vehicle have the proper safety equipment.
Qualifying for a license on Saturday will be good for both days of the event.
Licenses issued in our records to drivers at any previous Shift-S3ctor events will carry over. You do not need to go through licensing again if you already did at a prior event with Shift-S3ctor.
If you exceed 180MPH without the required safety equipment, you will no longer be able to participate in the event.
We have limited sponsor spots, and it is first come first serve. Please email email@example.com with questions, concerns, or to reserve your spot.
NO DRONES ARE PERMITTED. No exceptions.This is mandated by the FAA and carries with it a $10,000 fine to the owner/operator of any drones on or surrounding active airport premises.
Media must be on our guest list as well to gain access to Airstrip Attack. We require all media to fill out our media waiver and rights form. You will need to check in at the Media tent to acquire your media vest and badge first thing in the morning. WE DO NOT ALLOW SALES OF PHOTOGRAPHY AT OUR EVENT.
To request media credentials for the event, please submit a media application found by clicking HERE.
Hotel and Lodging:
Harris Ranch Inn
Address: 24505 W Dorris Ave, Coalinga, CA 93210
The event will proceed rain or shine and will run based on the safety of conditions.
There is a NO REFUND policy. Credit toward a future event may be requested at least 14 days prior to the event.
Catastrophe or part failure at the event will not result in refund or credit.
NOTE – If you wish to compete for a trophy either day, you must register as a Trophy Competitor.
PRICING AND REGISTRATION
|TROPHY COMPETITOR||ADDITIONAL $30 PER DAY|
|SINGLE DAY||$20 PRESALE. $25 at gate|
|BOTH DAYS||$30 PRESALE|